Your gums may bleed from simple irritation or as a symptom of more serious oral health concerns, such as periodontal disease. If you notice that your gums are bleeding, please call Redwood Dental Inc. at 650-369-9074 and make an appointment with Dr. Vincent Leung or Dr. Norman Chang. Our dentists will be able to determine what is causing the bleeding and create a treatment plan that meets your needs.
Signs of Gum Disease
Common signs of periodontal, or gum, disease include:
- Bleeding gums
- Swollen gums
- Red or irritated gums
- Teeth which appear longer
- Persistent bad breath
If you notice any of these signs, please call our office to schedule an appointment.
Causes of Gum Disease
There are many factors which may cause or contribute to gum disease, including:
- Poor oral hygiene
- Plaque and tartar buildup on your teeth and below the gumline
- Smoking and the use of other tobacco products
- Certain medications and illnesses
- Diabetes and other systemic conditions
How To Manage Gum Disease
The best way to prevent gum disease is to maintain good oral hygiene at home and to make and keep all your regular dental appointments. However, if you have already been diagnosed with this condition or notice signs of gum disease, please contact our office and schedule an appointment. Our dentists and team can provide you with specific treatment recommendations, including scaling and root planing and other procedures, to help improve your oral health.
Here are a few things we recommend:
- Brush and floss regularly. You should brush at least twice a day and floss at least once each day.
- Use an antiseptic mouthwash to kill the harmful bacteria in your mouth.
- Receive your regular dental cleaning twice each year.
- Stop smoking or using other tobacco products.
- Schedule a deep dental cleaning. Sometimes referred to as scaling and root planing, this procedure helps remove tartar and plaque beneath your gums to halt the progress of the disease and thoroughly clean your mouth. This treatment typically requires two to four appointments to complete.
For more information about gum disease treatment in Redwood City, California, contact our team today!